Wednesday 21 April 2010

Liz Annun - Volunteer Nurse for Project:London


Liz Annun is a nurse with 34 years of experience working in the NHS. She says "I enjoy nursing and was considering getting involved with voluntary work at some stage of my career." To find out more she attended a study day organised by the RCN, where she heard Karen McColl, former director of Doctors of the World UK give a talk about opportunities overseas and in the UK. This was in January 2004, soon after Doctors of the World UK started its needs assessment, so Liz has been involved with Project: London from the very early stages.

She continues: "As I found out more about Project: London, I realised there was an opportunity to become involved in my spare time. I've agreed to volunteer for one afternoon a fortnight, which fits in very well with my current job at a Walk In Centre.

Project: London is not taking workers away from the NHS. From my own perspective it is helping me to widen my skills base."

She continues: "The training provided by Doctors of the World UK has helped me to understand the expectations of the project and to prepare me to work as a volunteer.

Now I am looking forward to working with other volunteers in helping service users obtain the levels of healthcare they need. It is good to be part of a team with principles like Doctors of the World UK's."

Next week, read about Paul Whitelegg, our volunteer support worker at Project:London.

For more information about Project:London and how to volunteer, visit our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment